Colloquium of the Department of Mathematics bears the name of Sibe Mardešić, a Member of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts and Professor Emeritus of the University of Zagreb.
Sibe Mardešić was born in Bergerdorf, Germany, on June 20th, 1927. He graduated in Mathematics in 1950 (Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb), and he obtained his Ph.D. in Mathematics 1957 (Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb), with the dissertation Homology properties of some function spaces completed under supervision of Prof. Željko Marković. He spent his entire academic career at Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Science, where he became full professor in 1966. From 1974 to 1976 he served as the Dean of the Faculty of Science, and in 1983/1984 he was the Dean of the Department of Mathematics. 1988. he was elected as a Full Member of the Yugoslav, since 1991 Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts. Sibe Mardešić retired in 1991, and University of Zagreb elected him as Professor Emeritus in 1996. Sibe Mardešić passed away on June 18th, 2016 in Zagreb.
- Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb: Asst. 1951, Asst. Prof. 1960, Associate Professor 1962, Full Professor 1966. Retired 1991.
- Head of Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Science, Zagreb, 1961/62;
- Vicedean, Faculty of Science, Zagreb, 1964/65;
- President of the Council of Faculty of Science, Zagreb, 1966/67;
- Dean of Faculty of Science, Zagreb, 1974/75 and 1975/76;
- Dean of the Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Science and Mathematics, Zagreb, 1983/84;
- Head of the Chair for Topology of the Mathematics Department of Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, Zagreb, from 1978 to 1982.
- Head of the Graduate School for Mathematics of the University of Zagreb, from 1960 to 1971;
- Editor in Chief of the journal Glasnik matematicki, from 1963 to 1976;
- Member of the Advisory board of the journal Topology and its Applications since 1971.
- President of the Croatian Society of Mathematicians and Physicists 1971-1974.
- Organizer of several international conferences and schools (Dubrovnik 1976, 1981, 1986).
- Visiting Member of the Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, N.J., 1957/58 and 1958/59;
- Visiting Lecturer, University of Washington, Seattle, 1965/66.
- Visiting Professor, University of Heidelberg, 1971/72;
- Visiting Professor, University of Pittsburgh, Fall Semester 1972/73;
- Visiting Professor, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Fall Semester 1977/78;
- Visiting Professor, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Spring Semester 1977/78;
- Visiting Professor, University of Washington, Seattle, Spring Semester 1987/88 and Fall semester 1988/89;
- Research programs and series of lectures in the duration of one month approximately at the following universities: L'Aquila (1979), Tsukuba (1981), Perugia (1985 and 1990), Oklahoma (1987), Milano (1993).
- Areas of primary interest: Topology, in particular, inverse systems, dimension theory, shape theory and homology theory.
- 148 published research papers, 40 professional papers and 18 books.
- Papers published in numerous journals including: Topology and its Applications, Topology, Fundamenta Mathematicae, Transactions of the American Mathematical Society, Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society, Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society, Comptes Rendus de l'Academie Paris, Doklady Akademii Nauk SSSR, Michigan Mathematical Journal, Illinois Mathematical Journal, Pacific Mathematical Journal, Rocky Mountains Mathematical Journal, Bulletin of the Polish Academy of Sciences, Uspehi Matematiceskih Nauk, Tsukuba Journal of Mathematics, Mathematica Japonica.
Reviews and Lectures
- Invited lecture, section Topology, International Congress of Mathematicians, Helsinki 1978
- Almost 500 reviews for international scientific journals.
- Over 260 lectures at conferences and universities in 20 countries.
- Undergraduate courses in Mathematical Analysis and Topology. 13 different Graduate courses in Topology.
Societies and Recognition
- Associated Member of the Yugoslav (Croatian) Academy of Sciences and Arts, 1975.
- Full Member of the Yugoslav (Croatian) Academy of Sciences and Arts, 1988.
- Member of Academia Europaea, 1990.
- Member of the American Mathematical Society since 1958;
- Member emeritus of the American Mathematical Society since 1992.
- Professor emeritus of the University of Zagreb, 1996.
- Award for Scientific achievements of the Republic of Croatia Rudjer Bošković 1964, Work Medal with Golden Wreath 1975, Award of the City of Zagreb 1978, Award for Life Achievements of the Republic of Croatia 1990.