Glasnik Matematicki, Vol. 48, No. 2 (2013), 231-247.
HOUSEHOLDER'S APPROXIMANTS AND CONTINUED FRACTION EXPANSION OF QUADRATIC IRRATIONALS
Department of Mathematics, University of Zagreb, 10 000 Zagreb, Croatia
Abstract. There are numerous methods for rational approximation of real numbers. Continued fraction convergent is one of them and Newton's iterative method is another one. Connections between these two approximation methods were discussed by several authors. Householder's methods are generalisation of Newton's method. In this paper, we will show that for these methods analogous connection with continued fractions hold.
2010 Mathematics Subject Classification.
Key words and phrases. Continued fractions, Householder's iterative methods.
Full text (PDF) (access from subscribing institutions only)
- G. Chrystal, Algebra, Part II, Chelsea, New York, 1964.
- A. Dujella, Newton's formula and continued fraction expansion of
√d, Experiment. Math. 10 (2001), 125-131.
- A. Dujella and V. Petričević, Square roots with many good approximants,
Integers 5(3) (2005), #A6. (electronic)
- N. Elezović, A note on continued fractions of quadratic
irrationals, Math. Commun. 2 (1997), 27-33.
- E. Frank, On continued fraction expansions for binomial quadratic surds, Numer. Math. 4 (1962), 85-95.
- E. Frank and A. Sharma, Continued fraction expansions and iterations of Newton's formula, J. Reine Angew. Math. 219 (1965), 62-66.
- A. S. Householder, The Numerical Treatment of a Single Nonlinear Equation, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1970.
- T. Komatsu, Continued fractions and Newton's approximants,
Math. Commun. 4 (1999), 167-176.
- J. Mikusiński, Sur la méthode d'approximation
de Newton, Ann. Polon. Math. 1 (1954), 184-194.
- R. A. Mollin, Infinite Families of Pellian Polynomials and their Continued Fraction Expansions, Results Math.
43 (2003), 300-317.
- R. A. Mollin and K. Cheng, Continued Fraction Beepers and Fibonacci Numbers, C. R. Math. Rep. Acad. Sci. Canada 24 (2002), 102-108.
- O. Perron, Die Lehre von den Kettenbrüchen I, Dritte ed., B. G. Teubner Verlagsgesellschaft m.b.H., Stuttgart, 1954.
- V. Petričević, Newton's approximants and continued fraction expansion of (1+√d)/2, Math. Commun. 17 (2012), 389-409.
- P. Sebah and X. Gourdon, Newton's method and high order iterations, preprint, 2001,
- A. Sharma, On Newton's method of approximation, Ann. Polon. Math. 6 (1959), 295-300.
- K. S. Williams and N. Buck, Comparision of the lengths of the continued
fractions of √D and (1+ √D)/2, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc.
120 (1994), 995-1002.
Glasnik Matematicki Home Page